[Gnu-arch-users] Re: [BUG] feature plan -- Selected inventory

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [BUG] feature plan -- Selected inventory
Date: 27 May 2004 15:53:06 -0400

> I think arch will _always_ have to inventory the whole project tree
> that you are working with but, other than that, speed is one of the
> motivations for the selections-based features.

That's too bad.  Making an inventory of the whole project tree takes a long
time here, especially when all I want is the `file-diffs' of one or two
explicitly provided files.

When I say "takes a long time" I mean something like "it's faster to get the
diff from CVS where CVS needs to SSH login into a far away
subversions.gnu.org server than to get it from the arch revision library on
the fast local disk".

There is no fundamental technical reason why Arch needs a full inventory
here.  I understand it's probably due to the need to keep the code clean
and simple, but I think it's a serious problem so it might be worth it to
try and find a way to solve the problem while keeping the code clean (tho
maybe less simple).  The reason why I think it's a serious problem is that
project sizes tend to grow pretty fast, so it's not going to disappear any
time soon.

        Stefan