[Gnu-arch-users] Re: [BUG] feature plan -- Selected inventory

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [BUG] feature plan -- Selected inventory
Date: 26 May 2004 17:17:06 -0400

> Add a --selection X option to inventory.

Could you explain what kind of uses you have in mind?

I really like the "-- file ..." limit that can be imposed on commits and
would really like to see it extended such that it can be used in other
commands as well, and also such that it can specify directories rather than
just files (and so that it accepts file-adds/moves/deletions within those
directories).
But I don't see how I could make use of the much more expressive language
you provide.

Actually my main interest in the "-- file ..." is performance: being able to
work on a subset of the tree and thus save tla the effort of traversing the
potentially enormous tree.  So the `n' option would potentially defeat my
purpose since it might still require a full traversal to find the new
file name.

        Stefan