Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] apply-delta target directory

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] apply-delta target directory
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 15:11:22 -0400

David Allouche wrote:

Let me rephrase: "in any case using non-Arch trees for computing
changesets does not make sense in Arch as I understand it".

Changesets are just fancy diffs. It's quite reasonable to use them any way that diffs are used.

I think "apply-changeset" fits the description of "the
changeset-applying function" pretty well.

Sorry for the tautology.

For architectural reasons, I can understand why the internal function
might want to know nothing about patchlogs, but still I do not
understand why the apply-changeset CLI (or any other incarnation of
changeset-applying functions) should silently allow such behaviour.

Well, changesets have almost nothing to do with project tree structure. They take advice from the inventory control files (=tagging-method, .arch-inventory, .arch-id) if present, and that's pretty well it.

Aaron

--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology