[Gnu-arch-users] Re: [MERGE REQUEST] changeset translation preparatory w

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [MERGE REQUEST] changeset translation preparatory work
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 16:21:32 +0900

Jani Monoses <address@hidden> writes:
>> So you're just talking about configuring the system-wide default for
>> what {arch} is called in project trees?
>
> Yes thinking that that's the same as user default, because I did not think at
> all about shared systems. I was concerned more about 'the man and his laptop'
> scenario not corporate LAN and system policies and all that.

I think the user's config is as good as anything for that case; either
way, you've got to set it once, and it's it (in fact, in typical usage,
I'll bet the per-user config is probably _easier_, as it doesn't change
when you build a new version of tla in a different directory, use a
different system with your NFS homedir, etc).

There seems little point in adding confusion by having the default be
system dependent.

>> You'd still have whatever overhead is required to check the users's
>> default -- after all some people might want to use "{arch}" on a
>> system where the default had been set to ".arch".
>
> Well with my proposed change some users would be happier others would have the
> same situation as today.

And without it, _everybody_ would be happier....

The overhead of checking a config file is so far down in the noise, it's
silly to even be _talking_ about adding more problems just to avoid it.
[Er, unless you're looking for revenge or something... :-]

-miles
--
Any man who is a triangle, has thee right, when in Cartesian Space, to
have angles, which when summed, come to know more, nor no less, than