[Gnu-arch-users] unifying =tagging-method and .arch-inventory

From: Colin Walters
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] unifying =tagging-method and .arch-inventory
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 09:42:19 -0400

On Mon, 2004-05-31 at 05:58, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

> [...] also that the {arch} directory is a bit special
> and shouldn't be mucked about in too much.

Not true - at least I pretty much always need to edit =tagging-method
when starting a new project, usually a lot.  That's my major grief,
where you hit all the {}= shell metacharacters.

I wonder - maybe we could solve this whole thing by moving
=tagging-method out into a new toplevel file, say .arch-tree-inventory?
Then we could declare that users should never mess with stuff in {arch}
by hand.  If they do, it's "not supported".

Then I have no need to do all this changeset translation stuff; I can
live with *seeing* {arch} as long as I never have to actually manipulate
it.

Or - thinking about this a bit more - there's a lot of parallel between
~/.arch-inventory and =tagging-method.  The only real differences are
1) The latter defines the default method
2) The latter is recursive

What about unifiying the two?  Say that we allow setting the default
method and the untagged-source type inside the tree's toplevel
.arch-inventory.  Also, what we want is a new directive, "recursive"
before various regexps.  So the default toplevel .arch-inventory created
would be:

explicit
untagged-source precious
recursive exclude ^(.arch-ids|\{arch\}|\.arch-inventory)$
recursive junk ^(,.*)$
recursive backup ^.*(~|edited for brevity)$|^core$
recursive unrecognized ^$
recursive source ^(\.|)[_=a-zA-Z0-9].*$

I know for sure I've wanted the "recursive" directory in subdirectory
.arch-inventory files before.  Of course declaring the default
tagging-method inside a subdirectory .arch-inventory would be a bug.
Whether we'd want to allow untagged-source directives inside
subdirectories, I'm not sure.