Re: [Gnu-arch-users] =partner-versions

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] =partner-versions
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 16:27:58 -0400

On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 03:59:35PM -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> > What does `succeed' mean?
>
> I mean 'change the target tree'.
>
> > What if multiple partners have mergeable stuff?
>
> It will stop after the first merge that changed the target tree.

This sounds a bit wonky...

I mean, arguably useful -- for instance, if there are conflicts after a
merge, I probably want to stop and fix them before continuing merging (so
further merges won't complicate things), but something about it makes me
nervous.

For instance, what if the tree is already modified when you give the command;
will it just stop after the first partner even if that partner didn't cause
any further change?  I very commonly merge from multiple `partner versions'
in one go, and commit the whole mess as a single changeset.

For me, maybe a more useful formulation would be something like:

   while partners remain; do
     if the tree has any conflicts (.rej files), stop!
     merge from the next partner
   done
   exit status is:
     0 if all partners were processed succesfully and something got merged
     1 if all partners were processed succesfully and nothing got merged
     2 if a conflict stopped things
     ...etc...

I'm being so picky because if there's going to be a standard of sorts, I want
to make tla-partner support it as best as possible (though since it's a
`generic' partner operator rather than say specific to merging or whatever
that's not always going to be possible of course).

-Miles
--
Next to fried food, the South has suffered most from oratory.
                        -- Walter Hines Page