[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Shared working directories

From: Stig Brautaset
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Shared working directories
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 23:03:17 +0100

On May 31 2004, Miles wrote:
> Stig Brautaset <address@hidden> writes:
> > I fudged around this for a while at work by making the "archusers" group
> > the first group they were members of. This worked in most cases, but was
> > far from ideal.
>
> What were the problems?  It would be nice if this worked properly, as it
> seems an obvious and convenient way to support multi-user archive access.

For the archive access it mostly worked. However, there were problems
with several people sharing the source tree.

The tla-related problems were mostly file permissions (both in the
source tree and in the revision library). I changed default umask to
002, but some of the developers edited stuff on their local machine and
copied it to the server via a samba share, which screwed up the
permissions (could probably have fixed this by changing umask on the
share though) and occasionally some people edited things as users I
could not touch the umask of (for historical reasons).

I guess the problems were mostly of a social nature and could have been
worked around with guidelines if we needed to, but what this project
really were screaming for was several branches and developer sandboxes,
so I didn't bother working out such guidelines.

Stig

--
brautaset.org