[Gnu-arch-users] Re: =partner-versions

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: =partner-versions
Date: 31 May 2004 22:35:30 -0400

> "Whole mess" strikes me as a very apt description. :-)  I really don't like
> the idea of committing multiple merges in one go.

I think most people are like you and will thus not try to do multiple merges
unless they really have to.  So your tool doesn't need to protect them.
One case I've encountered a few times where I wanted to merge several things
before commit was when a merge introduced a bug which another branch had
fixed.  Another is when the second branch undid part of the changes on the
first branch: merging the second branch makes sure that there is no
back&forth on my own branch which in turn avoids spurious conflicts.

        Stefan