Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: unifying =tagging-method and .arch-inventory

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: unifying =tagging-method and .arch-inventory
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 00:15:34 -0400

On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 00:09, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > I guess it would be possible to implement, but it seems kind of like a
> > crack feature to me.  Can anyone think of a situation where it would be
> > reasonable to use?
>
> Along the same lines: can anyone think of a reason to use something else
> than the "tagline" method (other than backward compatibility that is) ?

Two reasons.  First of all, I use "explicit" on projects where I don't
want people to use taglines.  Having everything consistent is nicer.
Also, explicit will be faster of course, since it doesn't need to read
two blocks from every file.

Second, the "names" method is probably useful on trees where you can't
add metadata like .arch-ids or tagline content for whatever reason; this
came up a while back but I forget what the scenario was exactly.