[Gnu-arch-users] Re: [MERGE REQUEST] changeset translation preparatory w

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [MERGE REQUEST] changeset translation preparatory work
Date: 01 Jun 2004 14:46:44 -0400

Stefan> Arch is really bad already in this regard since you can
Stefan> pretty easily figure out the current branch, but you
Stefan> generally can't tell whether a given file is
Stefan> source/nonsource without running tla (unless you
Stefan> reimplement this part of tla which is nontrivial).

> What you're really saying is that tla gives you a lot more flexibility
> in defining "source", right?

> I guess my take is "if you're going to take advantage of that
> flexibility, keep a copy of tla around".

Sorry, but that's not true because even the defaults are complex enough to
be a real pain to reproduce manually.  And they're sufficiently
inconvenient that I'd be surprised to see a single non-trivial Arch tree
which didn't have to change the default.

In other words, the extra flexibility is simply always used, even by
non-sophisticated users.

        Stefan