Re: [Gnu-arch-users] =partner-versions

From: Mikhael Goikhman
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] =partner-versions
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 22:47:05 +0000

On 01 Jun 2004 12:49:32 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:

> Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> >On 31 May 2004 12:16:30 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> >
> >>{arch}/=partner-versions is a file that contains one or more
> >>partner-versions.  It contains one or more fully-qualified version
> >>names, separated by newlines.  This listing may contain the tree-version.
>
> >I wonder whether a partner line should also include an optional alias
> >name. It may be useful to interactively limit queries/merges to certain
> >partner versions. The frontends that work on the whole list only, may
> >just skip aliases (or display them along with fully-qualified names).
>
> Hmm.  I know from experience that aliases can be very handy, but I'm not
> sure whether they should be tied directly to partner-versions.  Are
> there situations in which it would be valuable to have an alias, but not
> have it as a partner-version?

My thought was more to enable a convenient limit in all operators working
on the partner version list, than to disable all other useful shortcuts.
But then I would only support context-sensitive/local aliases in general.
For me, shell variables are the preferable way to define arbitrary/global
aliases if this is your question.

Regards,
Mikhael.