Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Cachrevs in mirrors.sourcecontrol.net

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Cachrevs in mirrors.sourcecontrol.net
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 08:20:38 -0400

On Wed, 2004-06-02 at 22:22, John F Meinel Jr wrote:
> I was wondering about getting cacherevs put into the sourcecontrol
> mirrors. I believe tla archive-mirror doesn't mirror cachrevs,

It does, and in fact it does by default.

address@hidden> tla archive-mirror --help | grep -i cache
  --no-cached        don't copy cached revisions
  --cached-tags      copy only cachedrevs for tags to other archives

>  so they
> all need to be put in manually. But I noticed when I went to get
> address@hidden/tlacontrib--aba--1.3--patch-44
>
> That I had to get all of tlacontrib--aba--1.2 which was 102 patches, for
> a total of 146 patches.

Either he doesn't have any cacherevs in his archive, or sourcecontrol
isn't mirroring.  I suspect it's the former.

> I know there have been a lot of discussions about improvements in the
> arch repository for handling cachrevs, and automatic super-patches, etc.
> And maybe we are just waiting for that to happen, but right now it is
> pretty painful to get things from the mirrors for the first time.

It works fine for me.

> It also might be reasonable to have tla archive-mirror optionally
> support moving cacherevs since if someone thought it was wise to create
> a cacherevs in their repository, then it probably is a good location for
> the mirror to have the cacherevs.

Again, it already copies them by default.

> I think the big problem is that the owner of the archive doesn't have
> permission to create a cacherev in the mirror,

Eh?  Certainly if it's their personal mirror they do.  Are you talking
about on sourcecontrol.net?

> and the owner of the
> mirror doesn't necessarily know where a good location to put a cacherev
> is. (Especially since mirroring is an automated process.)

Well, I think this is something that a tool could make a pretty good
guess at, by looking at the size of previous cacherevs (or import if
necessary), combined with the number of succeeding revisions and their
size.