Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [MERGE REQUEST] changeset translation preparatory w

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [MERGE REQUEST] changeset translation preparatory work
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 23:12:38 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Jamie Wilkinson <address@hidden>

    > Colin, I think this is a great idea.

    > I personally much prefer the hidden directory over the plainly visible,

There is no such thing as a hidden or plainly visible directory except
through the eyes of `ls(1)' and programs designed to (more or less)
emulate or elaborate upon the behavior of `ls(1)'.

"Some guy", sitting in a really ugly lab, decades ago, made up the
dot-file convention and it happened to be a very popular idea.  Swell.
That's hardly the last word customizable directory displays.

You want arch control dirs to be hidden?  Change the thing that's
displaying them rather than forcing the application to change the name
of the directory it uses.

(What's visible by default and what's not is, no doubt, a
user-specific option.  It would be handy to have a way to specify your
preferences that `ls(1)' and all related tools could understand.)