Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some issues

From: Florian Weimer
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some issues
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 20:20:27 +0200

* Andrew Suffield:

>> The changeset format is defined relative to GNU patch and GNU
>> tar. These data formats are still somewhat in flux.
>
> What? I'm not aware of anything more stable than these.

Yeah, tar is so stable that its format changes never broke dpkg.

>> The changeset format does not handle binaries efficiently, and
>> certain text files (e.g. XML files not created by a text editor and
>> formated for readability).
>
> Right, nothing does. Unsolved problem. Nothing to do with
> tla. Supporting this would be fairly easy if the problem were ever
> solved.

You are confusing merging with storage.

>> There is no integrated mechanism to atomically commit related
>> changesets to two branches (even if these branches are contained in
>> the same archive).
>
> I can't imagine why you would want that.

I think that cross-branch commits are common cases in tla development.
If grouping changes didn't matter, we would still use CVS.

> Nor have I ever heard of anything which implements it.

It's considered a property of most distributed systems which
permantely store data in a distributed fashion.

--
Current mail filters: many dial-up/DSL/cable modem hosts, and the
following domains: bigpond.com, di-ve.com, fuorissimo.com, hotmail.com,