Re: [Gnu-arch-users] a global-scale txnal distributed filesystem

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] a global-scale txnal distributed filesystem
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:44:40 +0200

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 20:38:12 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Jan> There is a bit less portable, but by far easier method, using
>     Jan> the coda interface. Coda has the client (cache-manager) in
>     Jan> userland and it's interface to kernel is rather trivial.
>
> Unfortunately, it's known that Coda hates Arch.  (And most other
> revision control systems, but Arch more than the others.)  Coda is
> unable to deal with Arch's locking semantics.  I think you should ask
> Jan Harkes before going any further in that direction.

But I am *NOT* talking about coda! I am talking about it's backdoor to
kernel through which the userland CLIENT talks talks to kernel. And
that's basicaly just VFS operations exported to userspace using
structures sent down a char device (unices) or as messages (winNT).
Read/write/readdir is done using temporary files there, but we would
have cache, so that's ok with us. And all the other important operations
like rename, mkdir, rmdir, link, unlink etc. are sent as commands,
immediately, and they are serialized (because they go up a single
channel).

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>