Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Why PQMs count

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Why PQMs count
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 03:22:08 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Florian Weimer <address@hidden>

    > > Now do you see where the mainline is for these folks?  It's a thing
    > > you don't want to be two-months behind but, on the other hand, you can
    > > break it for up to two months before you're in serious trouble.

    > 48 hours is too much for most problems related to bootstrapping on
    > important problems.  Such problems tend to be fixed quickly, though.

Just to be clear... when I say "you can break it for up to two months"
I don't mean that breaking for 1.9 months is recommended practice or
that if many people regularly did so the situation would be tolerated.

I'm just trying to say that GCC mainline is an integration branch:
everyone is (probabilistically) a little behind it during non-freeze
(or "slush", as of today :-) periods.  Arch core hackers: the GCC list
is a very interesting indirect source of real requirements (as opposed
to just hacking from an ivory tower).  That's all.