Re: [Gnu-arch-users] java port

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] java port
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 01:52:26 +0100

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 05:05:32PM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:
>     > More important, though, is the fact that IMO the internal
>     > operations of tla currently change much faster than tla's
>     > external interface. Following these changes would probably much
>     > more difficult and error-prone than simply relying on tla to do
>     > things properly.
>
> The flip side of that is that if there ever is another arch
> implementation that stands as a peer with tla (and I hope there will
> be), then having to keep the multiple implementations in-sync will
> be a check on wild archive format (and similar) changes:  it'll
> eventually help to stabilize arch.  (Not that it isn't stable in its
> external and exchange formats already .... just that with two
> implementations that stability is more formal and more practically
> necessary rather than just being a nice thing the tla maintainer
> happens to do.)

FWIW, I'm reasonably likely to do this next year sometime if nothing
changes before then. I have a fair few ideas about how I'd implement
it in a completely different fashion.

(Probably wind up pulling an egcs though knowing my luck, which will
leave us right back where we started)

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |