Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Online book for usability

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Online book for usability
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 09:32:09 +0100

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 10:26:27PM +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> MD> The reason cvs users have a hard time when they switch to arch isn't
> MD> because arch is so much harder -- it's because they're expecting it to
> MD> work the same as cvs.
>
> Please.
>
> I feel I'm repeating myself, but the reason why we users have so much
> trouble adapting to arch is because arch is not designed to make easy
> things easy.

Nor is cvs. I mean really, anybody who knows the history of cvs would
know that this was never even on the table.

> Tla makes possible a lot of things that are either
> impossible or painfully difficult in cvs; however, a lot of things
> that are easy in cvs are ridiculously involved in tla.

That's because the "things that are easy in cvs" are generally useless
or silly things, and invariably not what you actually wanted. tla does
the things which you actually wanted, and it turns out these are
harder than just doing some random silly approximation.

And you know what? Using a screwdriver *is* harder than using a
hammer. Deal with it.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |