Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")

From: William Dode
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 16:14:48 +0200

Jan Hudec <address@hidden> writes:

>> >For one thing arch needs SOME embeded language. The reason is, if
>> >nothing else, the number of wrapper and scripts around tla that exist.
>> >The kind of stuff they do is mostly glueing primitive commands, which is
>> >too cumbersome to do in C.
>>
>> Actually, tla includes some infrastructure for calling user-level
>> commands-- "update" actually calls the "replay" or "apply-delta" user
>> commands.  So it may not be as cumbersome as you think.
>
> No, it's not that cumbersome there. But you need to recompile each time,
> which makes it harder -- and less likely -- for someone to put up
> a simple enhancement while hacking something else. That's what scripting
> languages are nice. That's why shell wrappers around tla exist. It is
> better if the scripting support is integrated.

For this it could be easier to make a 100% implementation in python or
something like that, for prototyping (or more, i don't believe that
nobody plan this, isn't it ?).

>> >So the idea is, that tla should have the
>> >primitive commands in C, cleaned up, simple and flexible. And a simple
>> >interpreter to build a user friendly interface on top of them.
>>
>> The plan is *also* to make libtla into a real library, which can then
>> have bindings for various languages, scripting or otherwise.  So Furth's
>> not necessary for the purpose of creating friendly interfaces.
>
> Yes, that's an even nicer plan.

I don't think the goal of furth will be to build a user friendly
interface, but we cannot speak before Tom say what he plan. It's why the
question of furth vs other langages has no sense when we don't know
which task it will do ! My initial question was just to early.

ps: plz don't do cc: for each answer !

--
William Dodé - http://flibuste.net