RE: [Gnu-arch-users] Dirname caching for leroy's tla on cygwin

From: Parker, Ron
Subject: RE: [Gnu-arch-users] Dirname caching for leroy's tla on cygwin
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 11:51:06 -0500

Please pardon the top post.  Outlook really choked trying to reply to this
message.

I had been doing some work with the =dirname code before a major crunch at
work.  I have diff, tar, patch, etc. in an archive along with a
configuration for building it all and using
the =dirname code.  I was doing the work on a slightly-less-than-standard
file-system, HFS+.  I am not sure that I have pushed all of my latest
changes and do not know if it all currently builds on all platforms.  For
example I know I have some outstanding changes for building on SnaFU
^h^h^h^h^h^h^h SFU.  But, it can be found in the following archive.

address@hidden:

http://www.inthefaith.net/rdp/{archives}/address@hidden

I recommend:
        $ tla register-archive address@hidden \

http://www.inthefaith.net/rdp/{archives}/address@hidden
        $ tla get address@hidden/dists--devo--1.0 tla-rdp
        $ cd tla-rdp
        $ tla build-config \
                configs/inthefaith.net-tla-cygwin/devo.tla-cygwin-1.2
        $ mkdir src/=build
        $ cd src/=build
        $ ../configure --prefix=/opt/tla

There is no doubt some noise in the patch logs due to abortive attempts at
getting patch and some of the other tools to play nicely in a
package-framework structure.  These will show up as changesets reversing
previous changesets.  In spite of this, hopefully this is a helpful place
for anyone that may be interested.

It seems to me that something is needed which does directory path
compression for weak file-systems.  I believe at some future point in time,
it may need to become an optional part of the arch "protocol".  That would
allow archives to be published directly on borked file and operating systems
but would allow them to be accessed and understood by the non-borked.  I
have the dubious "honor" of working on BSD, Linux, Windows and Mac systems,
so this is something I really need.

I had not previously published this archive because I am pedantic about
testing and had not gotten it all to a level that I was satisfied with.  It
looks like things should be easing up at work starting next week, so
hopefully I will have some time to spend with this.  Once it is done, I will
be trying to work out the problems with my employer and Red Hat to get long
file path support into cygwin directly.  I see that ultimately as a superior
solution for Windows.

Does this sound reasonable? I will probably try to create projects for
tar,diff,diff3, etc. Just so that I can get it all out of arch instead
of downloading the source code each time. Is there an "official" archive
for these programs?