Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")

From: Pierce T.Wetter III
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:34:54 -0700

From: "Pierce T.Wetter III" <address@hidden>

Are they?  The language of `make(1)' has some serious, big-ass
glitches.  That's because it was an ad hoc design, aimed at solving
one particular need for a language, but absent any larger perspective
on languages in general.  But aside from those glitches, it's very,
very good.   It's a tiny, domain-specific language, enabling
economical expression of the most common patterns.....

  Yeah, you're just being pedantic here.

No, but, hey, thanks for the insult.

I could be pedantic about whether saying you were being pedantic is the same
thing as calling you a pedantic, but that would be pedantic...

My point is that furth will
be used for "rule files", not so much for feature development. Which you
confirmed.

Please don't put words in my mouth.

Quote: "You seem to think I'm going to stop everything and immediately
completely rewrite arch in some strange language that I made
up on the spot.   That's not the plan.   Reacting against that
non-plan is really off topic."

 How did I put words in your mouth? I paraphrase and condensed what you
said, but I don't think I lost any significant meaning.

Anyways, I see why you might want a language in the rule/config files for arch, but
I don't see the need for furth.

When CMU was working on the Andrew email program it had a really minimal configuration mechanism that was almost freeform because it wasn't done yet so it was more or less "syntax free".

 Then they added a proper parser, which would reject badly formed files.

Everyone complained, because the "syntax free" format was actually easier to use.

Anyways, what about TCL? I seem to remember the interpreter being pretty minimal. There are a couple of JavaScript interpreters out there as well.

Pierce