Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 12:30:49 -0400

On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 10:52 -0700, Tom Lord wrote:

> An extension language is required for usability features, especially
> those that simplify both "upstream" and "downstream" configuration and
> process integration.  For example, suppose that we want commands like:
>
>       % tla fork <my-favorite-project>
>
> and
>
>       % tla submit <my-favorite-project>  <some-of-my-changes>
>
> Those both require project-specific rules to be followed.

Then they are project-specific.  The maintainers of the project will
want to write these extensions in their own languages, using their own
tools.  I sure know I would write "tla submit" for my projects in Python
because it has existing, very good tools for interacting with things
like email.

Your language will not be like "make", which has a very restricted
domain, in which most of the work is *really* done with shell script
anyways.  Your language is trying to do much more - it's trying to be a
glue.  And there is intense competition in that domain.

There is no reason that "tla submit" couldn't just exec a script in
{arch}, written however the project maintainers damn well please.

You know that there is a small but nontrivial percentage of free
software projects which don't even use "make"?  The chances of even a
comparable percentage of projects being willing to write extensions in
Furth is basically zero.