Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Dirname caching for leroy's tla on cygwin

From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Dirname caching for leroy's tla on cygwin
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 11:52:35 -0500

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 12:34:58 -0500, John Meinel <address@hidden> wrote:

> Well, I went ahead and checked out your code. But so far, it won't
> compile. First I had a problem in:
> src/tar/lib/getdate.y

I didn't have this issue Friday, but as of today I do. I'll check it out soon.

> After fixing that, it refuses to compile because tar is not linked
> against a file that has "_pathcompress_compress_path"

Ditto my previous response.

> Also, I think one problem that you are having is that you have too much
> stuff included in the repository. Anything that is auto-generated should
> probably not be included. I'm not sure about the auto* programs, but if
> they change their output based upon the client installation, they
> probably shouldn't be included. (So stuff like getdate.c, getdate.h
> which are generated (I believe) from getdate.y shouldn't be part of the
> distribution.)

Much of what is there existed from the original tar/diff/patch
distribution.  Some of it can be eliminated and some of it cannot.
Unfortunately there is somewhat of a circular dependency between
package framework and the autotools.  IIRC package framework needs
some of the auto* generated files before the auto* tools are actually
called themselves. I looked at eliminating this, but it was
non-trivial.

> Anyway, I'm trying, but I'm wondering if I have exactly the same stuff
> that you are using, since it won't even compile.

I am wondering why it worked for me on Friday and is broken today. I
generally pride myself on being a little more careful than this.  I do
know that the snapshot I posted Friday was done in a hurry before I
ran out the door for the holiday.

I will try to clean all of this up and post something later today.