Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [OT] facism gaining ground in US

From: Pierce T . Wetter III
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [OT] facism gaining ground in US
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 16:23:15 -0700

OAnother interesting question is "why would they want to instill this
power in an (umbrella) federal law enforcement agency".

  They aren't.

You're right.  I misparsed a sentence in the news article which made
me think they were asking homeland security chief Ridge to ask
congress for the power; in fact, they are asking Ridge to ask congress
to give that power to EAC itself.

 My theory is that you were intended to misparse the sentence by CNN.

This changes nearly nothing because:

     http://www.eac.gov/annualreport_2003.htm#sec1

     The Help America Vote Act of 2002 (HAVA) requires the
     establishment of an Election Assistance Commission (EAC) headed
     by four commissioners, who are appointed by the President.

The request here is to bestow the power on political appointees of the
executive.

Appointees that have to be approved by the Senate (and were unanimously), and the president has to appoint bipartisan members. This is pretty typical for minor committees like this; its hard enough to staff them without having to bother the Senate with approving them.

 Note that if Congress gave the EAC the power to delay an election, they
might change the rules.

They're talking about instilling the power in the Election
Assistance Commission, which is not a law enforcement agency,

It is, however, the executive branch's appointees.   That Soaries
rather than Ridge would have to sign the order does not seem to me
like an important distinction, practically speaking.

Ridge is the Secretary of a Cabinet-level department and highly partisan. Soaries is one of 4 members of a bipartisan commission, and a black Republican. Presumably, 3 out of the 4 members would have to vote to delay the election, which means at least one member would have to switch parties.

So yes, it is an important distinction between one person having the
decision making power, and 4 people voting on it.

and not part of the DHS. They're a bi-partisan commission, as I
pointed out in my previous rather long message. Basically,
they're the people who help states pay for new voting machines.

And apparently would like to be rather much more than that.

I dunno, this was kind of their job, they read the announcement from Ridge, though "hmmm...maybe we should do something" and asked Ridge to do something about it.

 This is all a tempest in a teapot.

 Pierce