Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US

From: Harald Meland
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 02:16:36 +0200

[Matthew Dempsky]

> Harald Meland <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> The EU contries' total ODA was 29949 US$m -- which was ~125% more than
>> the US total (13290 US$m).  The total GNI of the EU countries was ~16%
>> lower (~8557 US$b) than that of the US (~10223 US$b).
>
> When calculating the EU total ODA, did they deduct contributions, if
> any, made from one EU country to another?

Short answer: I don't believe EU-to-EU contributions are included in
the EU total ODA.

Longer answer:

As mentioned in my original post, my quick googling tells me that the
ODA figures are based on reporting from the DAC member countries.  I
have no intention to spend my time on verifying whether those reported
figures are correct or not; I'm opting for simply trusting OECD here.

That being said, an OECD definition for OAD can be found here:

http://webdomino1.oecd.org/dcd/UntiedCWS.nsf/viewHtml/index/$FILE/page_Glossary.htm#23

It goes like this:

  Official Development Assistance (ODA)

  Grants or loans to countries and territories on Part I of the DAC
  List of Aid Recipients (developing countries) which are:

    (a) undertaken by the official sector;
    (b) with promotion of economic development and welfare as the main
        objective;
    (c) at concessional financial terms [if a loan, having a grant
        element of at least 25%].

  In addition to financial flows, technical co-operation is included
  in aid.  Grants, loans and credits for military purposes are
  excluded.

To the best of my knowledge (that is, I've looked through
http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/51/16/1808900.htm), none of the EU
countries were in 2002 on "Part I of the DAC List of Aid Recipients".
--
Harald