Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Status of global and tree aliases

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Status of global and tree aliases
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 13:19:10 -0400

Aaron Bentley wrote:
> James Blackwell wrote:
>
>> $ tla alias --add --global lordtla address@hidden/tla--devo--1.3
>> $ tla get lordtla
>
> Can you also do this?
> $ tla get lordtla--patch-12

I originally wanted to do "lordtla--patch-12", but that would mean
substring matching and that gets us into a mess with lazy people
*real* quick.

Imagine if I aliased lt to address@hidden/tla--devo. Things work
fine for quite a while, until I register some other archive -- say
"address@hidden".  With substring expansion, alias expansion
turns that into "address@hidden@kernel.org--2005", which is
definitely not what I wanted.

Sure, that's not going to trick the likes of me or you, or for that
matter any reasonably bright person that has experience with arch. But I
find it much too easy to imagine people bumping into this mistake
without the capability to figure out what went wrong.

Thinking back to one of Tom's posts, he proposed adding guards to the
aliases, which would make the intent more obvious. I suppose we could do
"tla get /lordtla/--patch-12". That is a bit more work though (no strstr
in hackerlab).