Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US

From: Pierce T . Wetter III
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 12:17:57 -0700

On Jul 20, 2004, at 11:17 AM, Roman Zippel wrote:

Hi,

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Pierce T.Wetter III wrote:

Why was
the US so interested to invade Iraq again?

I don't know if I can articulate it very well, but it was basically a
sense
that we needed to protect our flank in the war on terror. Does that
make sense
or do I need to go into more detail?

It doesn't make sense, because there is and never was any proof that
Saddam was a real threat to the US or that there were any connections to
terrorism.

  Ok, so some definitions here:

  Al-Queda: A terrorist organization.
  Al-Anslam: Another terrorist organization.
  Terrorism: A global problem, carried out by a number of organizations.

  Al-Queda is a subset of terrorism the superset.

There was/is lots of proof that Saddam had connections to _terrorism_ he'd sponsor suicide bombings, he put out press releases about supporting terrorism, he
was harboring some known terrorists.

 There wasn't any proof that Saddam had connections to Al-Queda and
9/11. Bush actually said this on numerous occasions.

 Grinding my media ax, the media likes to say:

Bush said we went into Iraq because of Saddam's connections to terrorism.
  XXXX says there is no connection to Saddan and Al-Queda.

 There's a subtle logical fallacy there, because you're comparing what
Bush said on terrorism, to a statement on Al-Queda.

  Not all fruit have seeds.
  Apples have seeds.

  Its a little more obvious if you change XXXX to Bush above:

Bush said we went into Iraq because of Saddam's connections to terrorism.
  Bush says there is no connection to Iraq and Al-Queda.

  The error is in the juxtaposition of the superset with the subset.

  So there were connections to terrorism, but that wasn't the point
of my flank remark. By that I meant to say that we needed to finish
the last war before we stared a new one. Now does that make a certain
amount of sense?

The US government has here the choice between being complete
liars or completely incompetent.
This discussion makes no sense and will get nowhere,
if you don't even try
to look into the economic interests of the US. It's amazing how you manage
to avoid this topic.

Oh, was I avoiding it? OK. The US has an economic interest in stable oil prices, as does the rest of the entire world. Randomly fluctuating energy prices would have a severely depressing effect on the world economy. The US and all the other developed countries spend a certain amount of their foreign policy efforts on
making sure that doesn't happen.

That's not the only reason we went into Iraq though. There have been several occasions when this country or that country has nationalized their oil and we've just yawned. I think the primary reason we went into Iraq was because Saddam was crazy.

Pierce