Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US

From: Pierce T . Wetter III
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:49:49 -0700

On Jul 20, 2004, at 3:25 PM, Frank T. Pohlmann wrote:

in the
main government, so those tribes see it as mostly a
Pushtun government,
rather then a pan-Afghan government.

Sigh. It is actually the Pashtoons who feel excluded
and the Tajikis, Uzbeks, Turkmen and assorted others
(with apologies to those concerned) who rule over the
roost...at least they are perceived that way.

 Er, yeah, I have trouble keeping the players straight
without a score card in front of me.

explain it well enough to keep everyone from jumping
down my throat
about that not being true. I think there is a
difference between thing
that you inately understand and things that have to
constantly be
explained to you. People who grow up with stronger
inter-family,
inter-clan, inter-tribe ties will understand that in
a way that most
Americans never will.

I am somewhat astonished by this. Sure that's what
everyone seems to believe about USians, but when
looked at closely, my US friends have plenty of strong
family ties and my Muslim friends seem to have plenty
of divorces:) I am not entirely kidding.

 Yeah, but do your US friends factor that into who they
vote for?

  We're also buying off the warlords instead of
deposing them. So in a
way, we're just creating safe havens for future
problems by trying to
"fix" Afghanistan in a quick and dirty fashion.

There is no fix for Afghanistan except the Afghans
themselves.

 Hear, hear.

Afghanistan probably
needs _more_ attention then Iraq, not less.

I think Afghanistan needs 20 years of peace and an
alternative to poppy monoculture and, of course, lots
of psychologists to help with post-traumatic stress
syndrome.

  Can there be peace if the warlords are in charge? Is the US and the
others in Afghanistan doing the minimal yet sufficient job to ensure
Afghanistan will be at pease.

If he'd been
willing to compromise even
a little, the Middle East would already have lots of
democracies,
instead of lots
of tyrannies.

Neither Wilson nor anyone else has had much influence
in the Middle East. They have been fobbing off
outsiders for several thousand years. Lots of soft
power (to use the dreaded word) will help. Soldiers
will not.

  Do you think that democracy can flourish in the Middle East?

 Pierce