Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US

From: Frank T. Pohlmann
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 18:01:45 +0100 (BST)

> Yeah, but that's not a solution available to Bush in
> making
> presentations to the American people.  It's _not_
> Bush's decision in
> the long run, even if he wanted to make it, unless
> he can sell it and
> the implications to the voters.  I don't see how to
> do that quickly.

I agree that it is a very long process. If we take
Bush out of the  equation for the moment, I think that
(searching for the right phrase here...) teaching the
4-5 most common languages on the planet and making it
mandatory would go a long way. But we are talking 2-3
generations. Plus, and that is something I have
puzzled over, is it possible at all in a large
democracy to present foreign policy in such a way that
over-simplification isn't ruining the day?

>     Frank> relevant, I was told in no uncertain
> terms that having
>     Frank> expertise in the history of Islam is the
> most useless,
>     Frank> irrelevant expertise one could possibly
> hope for. That was
>     Frank> in 1991-1994.
>
> ....   (recovering from speechless amazement)

Sorry:) Didnt want to shock you that much. I recovered
well from that disappointment and I am an editor and
writer now.

> Expertise in history is
> _never_ irrelevant.  As to your anger ... what can I
> say?  "Justified"
> seems weak, even after 10 years.

I managed to get over it. And my expertise found
different outlets. And I am slowly building up to
write about Islam in India, once I have come back.

> Regarding being part of the "solution": sure, it
> would be nice if you
> could get the ear of someone who pulls the levers.
> But that only
> affects a couple of decisions.

I wouldnt even go that far. I would be perfectly happy
to contribute just a little to the decision making
process, or even to just organize poetry readings
(Hafez, Said) and whatnot.

In the long run in
> democracies you
> need to educate the people.  The American people are
> far from prepared
> for the necessary debate.

The UK is not facing up to the debate either. In
France, there is some. In Germany, well, the picture
is complicated.

> Patience.  Unfortunately, that's all I can say.
> Plan for the long
> run.

I am trying. It is hard and I had to turn myself from
a shy, retiring scholar to an "advocate".

> before then).  If
> we do nothing now, it'll be just as bad ten years
> from now.

What worries me is things werent especially grand 10
years ago and things seem to get worse at the moment.

> Practically, blog for the general public (that's a
> new option),
> educate people like me and Pierce who disagree with
> much that you say
> but have open minds.

bloxsom, here I come. Actually this weekend, I am
going to get my blog functional. Everything else is
ready. One problem I am facing is that I have to
rebuild my library (general problem: text books on the
ME cost a bomb). But I shall try.

I _do_ have a teaching
> position, and even if I
> can't teach much Islamic history, I do make a habit
> of trying to
> contradict whatever stupid thing I saw on the telly
> in the morning in
> class that day.  If Pierce doesn't have a blog, he
> might as well, the
> amount he can post in a day.

Peirce seems to have read every blog under the planet.
Now he needs to read books:) But then he is going to
be impoverished as well, just like me.

> Even if I can't help defending my country, that
> doesn't mean I have to
> demonize other countries.  I don't have to ignore
> them.  Rather I try
> to do the reverse, and "encourage" my students to do
> so, too.  Help me.

Well, now I have one more reason to get on my soapbox,
err, blog.

-Frank

Messenger - sooooo many all-new ways to express yourself
http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com