[Gnu-arch-users] Regexp problems

From: Ron Parker
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Regexp problems
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 22:08:05 -0500

I am having problems with the hackerlab regexps.  The following is a
regexp a crafted to match all paths from the branch-level on down in
the {arch} directory, when short-paths are used. It will not match
paths with "--" in the first two levels below {arch}.

When I am using this on the Mac the runtime library starts giving me
errors about writing into a freed memory block.

Using the same regexp without the "(/|$)" does not generate these
problems. I have tried multiple approaches to this with no success.  I
replaced the "(/|$)" with "(/.*)?$" thinking that there might be an
issue with optioning on two different classes of things (the slash and
end-of-string).  But I got the same results.

Unfortunately this is occurring in a forked process and debugging
those on Mac OS X is somewhat flaky, in my experience.