Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Conflicts in .arch-ids

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Conflicts in .arch-ids
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 15:27:46 -0400

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 01:39:15PM +0100, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> > you could just make sure
> > to manually run "tla add" on those files when they show up in the kernel
> > patch, before you run tla-update-ids.
>
> But "tla add" creates a new id in linux--mainline--2.6, which is
> different from the id in linux--cm--2.6. How is this different from
> tla-update-ids?

tla add takes an option to specify the id, so you can figure out the id of
existing files, and explicity use the same id (I've done this when I know I
later want to merge two pre-existing source-bases).

One interesting possibility might be have an option to tla-update-ids that
maintained a "new file database" of ids, which would be checked before
generating a random id to see if a file had recently been added with the
same path-name [presumably in another branch], and if so, use its id instead.

-Miles
--
I'd rather be consing.