Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: gnuarch 1.2.1 released! (reannouncement)

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: gnuarch 1.2.1 released! (reannouncement)
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:34:13 -0400

Tom Lord wrote:
> I'm glad you mentioned that on-list --- I forgot to.

Grin. I've mentioned it a couple times on list, but after the apparent
nobody but jblack tested rc1 problem,  I figured repeating things
ad-frigging-infintum would make more sense. :)

> I think that that regularity is a huge, huge win and is one of the
> more important aspects of the shift in project process that's taking
> place.
>

>     > If you are doing changes to furth, xl-whatever, etc, then tag off of -t
>     > and send patches that way.
>
> There should not be any sending of patches in particular directions!
>
> *ALL* patches should go through BugGoo.  You, jblack, should be
> working off of buggoo.

I'm not using it directly, though I did hit some of the merge requests
for the last cycle.

Regarding closing bugs, I'm utterly clueless. ;)

> Now, sure... if there's a neglected patch in buggoo and you want to
> ping somebody, then Jblack's directions make sense (and hopefully that
> is more like what he meant).

That's a good call.

> Jblack: I'd be in favor of a PQM-ish policy that *all* changes must
> have an associated buggoo issue which includes a merge request for the
> changes.   Would you be willing to require that?

I figured it would be best to wait for the real PQM to come around; in
the mean time, I'm more than happy to scrape off the mergelist and
respond to friendly emails.

>     > command deltions/archive incompatible changes are in limbo right now. If
>     > furth comes along "soon", then send those to Tom. If furth takes "a long
>     > time", then I'll open up a 1.3 development window, and we'll lump all of
>     > those patches together, and do a 1.3rc1.
>
> I appreciate your conservatism in such matters.
>
> The voting system would be a win here.  Really, there should be a list
> of "topics" and if a proposed change here overlaps with one of those
> topics (e.g., an archive format change) then it should get a "Flag"
> vote which blocks it from integration without
> more-serious-than-average review.

I'm excited about the voting system.