Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Inconsistency of Added-files and Removed-files

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Inconsistency of Added-files and Removed-files
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 11:58:33 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Mikhael Goikhman <address@hidden>

    > Moreover, I would like to request several more log headers, like the ones
    > to report permission or symlink changes, and the one to report changeset
    > type (normal, tag, import, base).

I agree that we want to have all that information available for quick
access but I'm not so sure I agree that it belongs in patch logs.

A lot of core developers are (rumours have it) brainstorming about
what to include a future currently-theoretical change to the format
of archives.

I wonder if all this changeset-implied meta-data (permission changes,
a readily computable tree inventory, etc. should be added to the
archive format as new files.  So.... there's the patch-log in each
revision, sure, but there's also some files that help compute the tree
inventory and everything that implies pretty quickly without having to
build the tree itself.