[Gnu-arch-users] Re: feature plans from over here....

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: feature plans from over here....
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:29:44 -0400

Tom Lord wrote:
  ~ clean up archive and mirror registration

    The little hack of naming archives with "-MIRROR" or
    "-SOURCE" is fundamentally lame.

    We plan to clean up the database of registered archives
    so that you can have one record that lists all the locations
    for a given archive and enumerates the mirroring relationships
among them.

Thank you, thank you! I've done some work on cleaning this stuff up, but there's a lot of code that uses the registered name when the official name would be The Right Thing. And users just don't get it. People are constantly registering archives with the wrong name, or getting from a foo-SOURCE. Even I'm sometimes confused about the best name to use in some error messages.

Aaron
--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology