Re: [Gnu-arch-users] the state of the union

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] the state of the union
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:10:06 +0100

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 12:11:09PM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:
> Now, syntax:  Basically, "Oh, come on.   do you really think we can't
> get around to making really nice syntaxes even if initially we use
> crude ones?   That's half the point of getting serious about the "type
> system" we use where libawk is now: so that these files don't become
> syntax bound --- so that we have the flexibility to make incremental
> changes to improve syntaxes in compatible, disciplined ways.   Geeze."

I still intend to see that whatever I have to deal with gets boosted
up to Haskell's level. I expect it'll be fairly easy; demote
parentheses to pure precedence (an LR(1) parser doesn't need them in
almost every case), add the infix transform and the layout rule, and
you're most of the way there.

 : :' : |