gnu-arch-users

Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: How does arch/tla handle encodings?

From: Robin Green
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: How does arch/tla handle encodings?
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 01:35:37 +0100

On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 01:56:20AM +0300, Marcus Sundman wrote:
> However, for this problem to go away completely it needs
> to be fixed in _all_ systems, including arch. When a piece of text is sent
> around as bytes _no_ link in the chain may throw away the encoding
> metadata.

If you want that property, isn't the most sensible solution to put
the encoding metadata _inside_ the file, like xml does? And then, since
tla delegates to diff, the only problem is diff's handling of UTF-16
files, which will cause needless bloat - which can be worked around
by not storing UTF-16 files in tla archives, I would have thought.

Transcoding need not be a goal of a revision control system, since you
can just transcode files to and from the working directory with a
separate utility.
--
Robin

Weblog: http://lrp.greenrd.org/