Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Tla spork

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Tla spork
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 23:41:40 -0400

Quoting Zenaan Harkness <address@hidden>:
> I think you missed James' point - those in the first camp, who've never
> heard of sexps (as this assumption goes), have a reaction when they
> first see prefix-notated mathematical expressions. This reaction is not
> what I'd call positive :)

Maybe.

As someone who grew up around HP's RPN calculators, I find the idea of there
being a large number of competant programmers who are uncomfortable with
non-infix notations a bit hard to grasp -- and I've mostly just been keeping
quiet on-list because I have enough other things to do as it is.

My impression is that the folks who are getting involved in this discussion are
either those who (1) really, really love prefix notation, (2) really, really
hate prefix notation, or (3) got pulled into the thread for reasons not
necessarily related to notation. It's a self-selecting sample, and implicitly
ignores the people whose response is "prefix? yeah, I can do that".