[Gnu-arch-users] operations on multi-archive trees

From: James Blackwell
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] operations on multi-archive trees
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 12:43:41 -0400

One of the things I've noticed is that in some cases, working on configged
trees doesn't work very well at all. Some projects, when broken up across
natural boundaries, obligate the user to hacking on several archives at
the same time.

What's needed is a way for the common commands (changes, star-merge,
update, etc) to be able to spawn themselves across every archive in a
configged tree, not just the one you happen to be in.

However, this isn't currently possible in arch, because each archive is
unto itself.

However, if in the {arch} directory we stored two more files,
,config-root and ,config-file, we could figure this out.

Then, on a command-by-command basis as necessary, we can add the --config
command, which will instruct tla to perform the requested operation on
every archive in the configged tree.