[Gnu-arch-users] Re: cscvs totla data and Arch revisions

From: Martin Langhoff
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: cscvs totla data and Arch revisions
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 18:07:00 +1200

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 15:24:43 +1000, Robert Collins <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm working quite heavily on cscvs at the moment, so may be able to add
> this in the near future... if its needed.

That sounds great!

> > So my questions go out to Robert, Charles and the list:
> >
> >  - isn't there a mapping between cscvs changesets to the comitted
> > revisions? If it is there, where should I find it?
>
> Yes, in the tla commit messages, there is a CSCVS-ID: header.

Oh, yes, I see it. That's good!

> >  - be able to create a cached revision on every important symbolic name/tag.
>
> The info for this is there already - cscvs cache -T should help.

Hmm. Ok, maybe I didn't explain myself very well.

I want to identify all the symbolic tags from CVS and find what Arch
revision they match, to do a 'tla cacherev $REVISION'. It looks I'll
want to do a SELECT from the sqlite database to get the csets and then
parse the tla logs for CSCVSID. Not bad so far.

The ouput of `cscvs cache -T` is a bit bizarre and I don't quite
understand it ;-)

> >  - be able to create a new "tla branch" on every symbolic name/tag
> > that marks the beginning of a branch, and then use totla to track
> > those branches too.
>
> That is on my Todo already :}. But there are some major issues - notably
> the different syntax for tla branches & cvs branches.

Agreed. And yet, for projects that make simple (read: trivial) use of
branching, it should be possible. At any rate, there are a few
alternatives when mapping CVS branches to Arch.

How feasible would it be to take a stab at solving the "simple" cases?

> > I am trying to put an arch gateway for a cvs-ridden project, which is
> > very tidy in its use of branch names for symbolic and branch tags.
> > While I can open each branch manually, I really want to automate it.
>
> Do you mind me asking, which project?

Not at all: Moodle, http://moodle.org/ , CVS info @
http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=30935

The effort of providing the Arch gateway is part of Eduforge
(http://edurforge.org/). The NZVLE project will offer Moodle to a
large number of tertiaries in NZ. If the upstream developers are
happy, we'll offer the arch gateway publicly, as well as using it for
our own needs.

So far, Moodle is just shy of 8500 changesets, and runs a pretty
simple tagging/branching scheme as you can see in
http://moodle.org/doc/?file=cvs.html#4 .

cheers,

martin