Re: [Gnu-arch-users] maintaining perl modules with arch?

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] maintaining perl modules with arch?
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 17:58:42 +0100

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 11:11:05PM +0100, Stig Brautaset wrote:
> This has the effect of automatically incrementing the $VERSION number of any
> modified perl modules just before commit. It Works for Me(tm), and I thought
> somebody might find it useful. May need tweaking to fit your conventions.

The problem with this sort of thing is the same as the problem with
the wretched $Id$ tags in CVS:

It virtually guarantees that inexact patching will fail. Non-trivial
merge scenarios will generate reams of spurious conflicts.

Better to insert this stuff at build time. You can do that in
Makefile.PL; a little ingenuity should twist your code to fit in
there.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |