[Gnu-arch-users] Re: FAI patches and feedback

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: FAI patches and feedback
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 21:15:37 -0400

David Allouche wrote:
Eventually, I gave a try to FAI.

Here are some patches for you:

Thanks. Merged. I actually like it when I get colorization on a non-tty; I do fai changes -d |less -R a lot. But 'maybe' is probably the right default, so I guess I'll have to get cracking on per-user options.

There was nothing I could find in the Python libraries that made colorization simpler than hand-crufting it, so that's what I did. Guidance on how to do it The Right Way without using ncurses would be appreciated.

It has no summary because I was bitten by a pretty annoying failure
mode:

Apparently the first commit creates the log file and then fail without
removing it,

I've fixed Fai so
- we test for the editor first
- we remove new-logs if editing them fails for any reason

 and the second commit does no check that the log file has a
non-empty summary. I think commit should ask for a changelog if the
changelog summary is empty or whitespace only.

Okay, I've done that too. (It prompts to see if you really want a blank summary.)

Unfortunately, \export will not behave like you want it to, because it's executed in a shell, then returns. Perhaps it will have to become a builtin.

Also, there seems to be a problem with getting the help for some
commands. I was very confused by the code and did not figure how to fix
it.

Okay.  My bad, and I can't see why it ever worked.

By the way, it would be nice if you added a simple make file with a
"make doc" or "make doxygen" target;

The Doxygen documentation is obsolete. Epydoc is the replacement. For user-level stuff, there's the README and the web site:
http://sourcecontrol.net/~abentley/fai/

Aaron