Re: [Gnu-arch-users] s/GMT/UTC/

From: Phil Frost
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] s/GMT/UTC/
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 00:08:26 -0400

GMT is not UTC at all, at least if you are concerned with accurate time.
GMT is the observed time at the greenwich observatory, which is
determined by astronomical observances, not atomic clocks. It is
problematic for people who require accurate time because the earth's
rotation is not uniform.

UTC is determined by atomic clocks, and it is defined with a uniform
second. Leap seconds are used to keep UTC within 1s of GMT, lest UTC
would drift from the observed time on Earth.

All civil time systems use UTC. GMT is only of interest to astronomers.
NTP uses UTC, as well as any time you will get from any other time
service, radio, phone, or whatever. Thus, GMT is quite incorrect and for
very good reasons, albiet never more than 1s in error.