Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: s/GMT/UTC/

From: Adrian Irving-Beer
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: s/GMT/UTC/
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:19:17 -0400

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 08:12:21PM -0400, Phil Frost wrote:

> In previous posts I have asserted that any clock set to a modern
> time source such as NTP, WWV, or other civil time service is set to
> UTC, not GMT.  The difference between UTC and GMT will never be more
> than 0.9s, [. . .]

This brings us back to the thesis of the original poster who started
this whole kerfuffle, which is (to paraphrase) that 'UTC is the newer
name for GMT (even though they're different)'.

In the sense that UTC seems to be the de facto civil time, it may make
sense to rename the field, in the name of pedantic correctness (of
which I am quite often guilty).

Not that I ever really minded one way or the other. ;)