Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [ANNOUCEMENT] gnuarch-1.2.2rc2 release

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [ANNOUCEMENT] gnuarch-1.2.2rc2 release
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:16:16 -0400

Tom wrote:
> All that's great.
>
> Mostly I want to emphasize this:
>
> In theory, I have the right to raise a red flag and interrupt the
> co-maintainer process.

Correct. Any respected member of the community can say "whoah, we've got
to talk about this before this gets released" and I'll pause for the
discussion, and we'll decide where to go from there.

> I have no intention of doing that in any serious way if things
> continue roughly along the current lines (though I expect steady,
> incremental improvements to the quality of the process).

Thank you. I appreciate that.

> So: the primary accidental failure mode here is if we have a
> disconnect --- if I appear to be blowing off the process when, really,
> I don't intend to.
>
> So: should it appear I'm missing some point -- please make the
> first...third order attempts to sync with me (through any of our many
> channels of communication) before deciding to toss me overboard.
> So to speak :-)

What can I do to avoid problems in this area? I'm very open to just
about any way/frequency of notifying you. If you want, I'll email
you every 45 minutes until you ACK (grin).

> I.e.: I *am* using ancient email software;  I *am* very busy these
> days; etc.   If I miss a GNU maintainer cue -- odds are it is a
> correctable accident rather than a cause to go apeshit on me.

Thinking outside the box, if you like, I can give you a phone call
(which would likely result in a voice mail) a week before release. I'll
even snail-mail you a postit note that you can stick on the side of your
monitor. ;)