Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Preliminary Arch Cache available

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Preliminary Arch Cache available
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 02:22:28 +0200

On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 09:17 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Comparison with partial mirrors:
> Pro:
> 1. Always up to date
> 2. Never downloads anything you don't need
> 3. Allows you to commit
>
> Con:
> 4. Still requires a connection before using the cache

> What's missing:
> - Ancestry data is not cached
> - Revision type data is not cached
> - Lazy initialization would be very nice (there are issues with this
> that I'll detail in a followup email)
> - If a cacherev is downloaded, it should still be usable if the cacherev
> is removed from the original archive
> - Easy commandline tools, e.g. tla my-arch-cache
> - Support for disconnected operation

As a complement to disconnected operation, I would like a command to
fill the cache with the contents of an archive. Typically, one would
fill the cache before going offline or at the beginning of a day of
work, when there might be a lot of new stuff.

That would effectively make it a local-mirror-killer.

Great stuff. I hope it'll make it into a release soon.

--
                                                            -- ddaa