Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] pika escaping corrupts taglines containing "

From: chth
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] pika escaping corrupts taglines containing "
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 02:22:23 +0200

> Hi,
>
> I have a project that uses taglines, and one of the taglines contains
> the " character.  Before pika escaping, this character was stored
> literally everywhere.  With pika escaping, it is stored in changesets
> as\". This obviously breaks compatibility with older versions of tla,
> and can cause silent corruption.

I shortly investigated the cause, it seems (only 95% sure so far) that
tla does str_cmp on ids without unescaping them. thats seems to be a
real bug.

> Why are we escaping file ids at all?

good question, its technically not needed for now but may have its use
when tla using unicode in future.

Bugfix idea:

make an arch_cmp_ids (alloc_limits, t_uchar*, t_uchar*) function and use
that everywhere to compare ids.

By the way: smash_non_graphical is some kind of escaping on its own, do
we want to drop it and use pika_escaping exclusively in future. note:
for backwards compatibility we have to keep it anyways since old ids
must be handled, it would only make new stuff more consistent, and break
older older tla versions getting such a new archive.

        Christian