Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch Cache & cached archives

From: Matthieu Moy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch Cache & cached archives
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 20:08:53 +0200

Tom Lord <address@hidden> writes:

> It is strange, imo, to contemplate modifying tla to solve the
> problem you stated there.

Well, tla wouldn't be the first piece of software implementing a local
cache ... This feature is present in most respectable web browser and
IMAP mailers for example. Are they all doing the same mistake ?

> The way to build a "smart cache" is top-down, not bottom up.
> Meanwhile, tla shouldn't have a built in "dumb cache" when it so easy
> to construct one externally to tla.

I don't think it is "easy" to make

* One sftp proxy

* One NFS/sshfs/whatever-remote-fs proxy (I don't know how I would do
  this, by the way)

* One HTTP(s) proxy

* One ftp proxy

* One more proxy for each protocol tla may manage in the future ...

With the additional constraint that all of theses proxies _have_ to be
arch-specific to take full advantage of all of arch's specificities
(add-only policy in some parts of the archive, but not for .listing
files, ...). I'm not even talking of the potential security holes if
the proxy is ran as a daemon.

On the other hand, doing this at a higher level, in tla's virtual
filesystem is rather easy to do once and for all. (Aaron has just
demonstrated this)

--
Matthieu