Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Manners

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Manners
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 11:21:03 +1000

On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 09:43, James Blackwell wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 09:23:23AM +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 08:53, Tom Lord wrote:
> > > Some stuff matters more than naive assesments of what is polite,
> >
> > This puts into words what I have always believed and felt strongly,
> > for myself.
>
> I suppose its fair to call my assesments into question. Lets look at some
> evidence, and we can decide whether or not I've got an overactive sense of
> impolite behavior

<snip>

BTW, having gone back and actually read Tom's email you attached,
it looks to me like you have committed a few indiscretions all at
once:

* attaching a private email to a public forum

* missing the butt-obvious gist of what Tom was saying to you,
which as I read it is a little blunt, very to the point,
and can easily be taken "the right way"

* bringing your personal (by my analysis, misplaced) feelings of
affrontation to the public list, which would ideally be a technical
forum (light-ening jokes and humour aside, which I think most
appreciate, and actually make life a little more worthwhile to me)

Now, in my "outsider" opinion, you are going through a period of
personal growth.

You are learning about yourself, admittedly in (sometimes) a
confronting way. The typical response would however be
"get with the program". Pretty much, people are straight up,
on this list, (none more so than Tom, so far as I can tell),
and whether you see it or not, that is actually something
_valuable_, and indeed _generous_ on Tom's part. Try to see
how that is the case - it will be good for you if you can.

Also of great value is people willing to persist with us
when we don't display our best side (like assuming the worse
rather than the best, of others and what they said to us).

Yes, all of these things are oh so very human.

So :), Get With The Program :)

Regards, and thanks for your good work with arch,
Zenaan