[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Managing a database with version control

From: Mark Stosberg
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Managing a database with version control
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 01:19:56 +0000 (UTC)

On 2004-09-23, ALEJANDROLANDIM <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'd like to manage a database of clients, companies, tasks using SQL and
> having it versioned in a distributed way like tla does.
> Does anyone know a software to do that that also works on Windows and is
> easy to use?

This may be a reach:

In databases there is a concept of an "audit trail". This means, that
whenever a row is changed, the old row is preserved in an audit trail
table, along with some meta-information about the change.

This can happen automatically at the database level by using trigger
functions to implement the logic.

I know this can be done with Postgres, and I believe there is a stock
packaged solution for it, but I can't find it now with Google.

I'm not exactly what you mean by "versioned in a distributed way" in
terms of database, though.

        Mark

--
http://mark.stosberg.com/