Re: [Gnu-arch-users] patch log - blank last line?

From: John Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] patch log - blank last line?
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 22:18:27 -0500

Zenaan Harkness wrote:
On Sat, 2004-09-25 at 08:40, James Blackwell wrote:

Zenaan wrote:

I routinely delete Keywords: field.

Do people normally put/not put a blank line at the end of the
changelog?

A better question perhaps: are there any identifiable effects
of one or the other that may be preferable?

To be honest, I normally don't even bother with tla make-log patchlogs.
I normally perform 'tla commit -L"My log message here"'

That's very interesting I think: does it imply that your changes
are usually relatively small and very self-contained, with
literally _one_ fix/improvement/etc per commit?

Or does it imply that you just don't like writing verbose logs?

thanks
zen

Well, I tend to do 'tla commit -s "my log summary here."'
Because in general, I commit very often. If I have a case where there
are *lots* of changes, I'll occasionally tla commit, and use the editor
that pops up.

I usually commit many times per day. Once I've finished a specific
change, it gets committed. Then I work on the next change.
I'm not perfect about it, but I think it's a nice way to do it.
It also works very well with how tla works. Because if each specific
change you make is committed like this. If someone else ever wanted to
cherry pick your tree, you've already done all the work of separating
the changes.

John
=:->

PS> I also commit multiple times because I use the repository as a
synchronization point between all the places that I work
(home/school/work). So some of my commits break things. Some people
thing that is bad. To me, that is why you develop on a branch, instead
of mainline.